Shutters on the Beach
Perfectly located steps off the sand in Santa Monica lies Shutters on the Beach, a posh boutique seaside resort known for its luxurious guest rooms and 1920′s Cape Cod inspired d?©cor. Beach Cottage style furnishings and a gracious staff make this quaint hotel feel more like a warm, inviting upscale home rather than a stuffy hotel. If you are in the area, stop in for a farmers’ market-fresh casual fare in one of the two restaurants on the property. Superb ocean views and breezes create a delightful dining experience. We have selected a simple Mediterranean salad that takes advantage of the fresh ingredients available during the warm summer months from Shutters The Summertime Anytime Cookbook. The addition of a little protein (Shutters uses lamb loin, but grilled steak or fish would also marry well) makes this colorful salad hearty enough for a meal. Add a little crusty bread and enjoy an evening dining outside.
Sliced Mediterranean Lamb Loin Salad
Submitted by Tiffany Harris
- 2 teaspoons grapeseed oil
- 1 pound boneless lamb loin
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups mixed baby greens
- 1 English cucumber, peeled and diced
- 3 medium heirloom tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup pitted kalamata or nicoise olives, halved
- Red Wine Vinaigrette (below)
- 8 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
1. Heat a medium skillet over high heat until very hot. Add the grapeseed oil and swirl to coat bottom. Season the lamb loin generously with salt and pepper and add it to the pan. Sear the lamb until well browned on all sides and medium rare inside, about 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board, cover loosely with foil, and let rest for 10 minutes before slicing thinly.
2. In a large bowl, toss the greens, cucumber, tomato wedges, onion, and olives with about 1/3 cup of the vinaigrette (or more to taste). Arrange a mound of salad on each serving plate and top with slices of lamb. Sprinkle with feta cheese.
Red Wine Vinaigrette
- 1 medium shallot, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup grapeseed oil
In a medium bowl, whisk together the shallot, red wine and sherry vinegars, mustard, salt, and pepper. Whisk in the oil in a slow stream to emulsify. Adjust the seasoning to taste. Store refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 1 week.