While France commemorates her freedom on Bastille Day, we celebrate the creme de la creme of centuries old design still influencing the furniture made today. With elements that make us say “ooh la la”, we rediscover our favorite elements that add a touch of glamorous French style to today’s decor.
Curvaceous Cabriole Legs
- Aidan Gray Furniture Chair Chandler Light Linen and Burlap
- AFK French Chest Verona
- French Traditions Normandy Arm Chair
- Newport Cottages Provence Collection 2 Drawer Nightstand
Though styles changed throughout the years, gorgeous legs remain a hallmark of French design.
Comfort began to be a feature of furniture under Louis XIII who brought us upholstered seats embellished by nailhead trim, now used as an eye-catching accent.
Fleur de Lis
- Florio Mirror
- Fleur de Lis Table in Crossroads Rosa
- Waxing Poetic Fleur de Lis Miniature Round Insignia Trinket Box
- Aidan Gray Decor Wooden Mirror Fleur de Lis
This stylized lily flower motif associated with French monarchy is used as a decorative element accenting coats of arms, flags, accessories and furniture.
- AFK Josephine Bed with Painted Lattice
- French Traditions Louis XVI Cane Bergere Chair
- AFK Grand Armoire with Caning
- Le Courte Coffee Table
Introduced in the Regency period, Marie Antoinette sat in a caned chair for her daily hair and makeup at her retreat in Versailles. It was popular then for its durability and ease of care, now we love the romantic sophistication it adds to our decor.
- Large Baroque Acanthus Mirrir in Cyan
- Rouen Mirror
- AFK Bed Crown
Ornate, playful details of intricate scroll work, romantic curves, symmetrical or asymmetric carvings often inspired by natural elements such as shells, flowers and leaves.
- French Market Collection Blue Napolean Aubusson Pillow
- French Market Collection Lauren Aubusson Rug
- French Market Collection Blue Napolean Aubusson Julia Cane Bench
Weavers from the town of Aubusson were granted “royal appointment” status for the gorgeous tapestries they created which carry on today in hand woven rugs, pillows and seat cushions.
- French Traditions Buffet Two Corps Rouennais Armoire
- Amelia Chaise
From the Golden Age of opulent and luxurious design, each of the Kings Louis had a distinctive style, but all relied on these gorgeous carvings to express it. Today, carved pieces add a vintage flair to any room.