We’re enchanted with another party by Kate Landers Events where she brings to life childhood imaginations – this time in mermaid form. From recreating the ocean floor with pounds of play sand to a dessert table filled with clever concoctions mimicking the creatures of the sea, Kate captures the look and feel of being a mermaid. Kate is back to share some of her best party tips – ideas for repurposing your favorite pieces into amazing party decor:
Repurposing is my favorite party tip because it utilizes the pieces you love the most. Nothing is purchased only for a party, and everything you love gets used over and over again. Think of it in these two ways.
- Use what you have already invested in for the event design:
You would be surprised with the amazing items you already have in your home that can make your next party stylish and sophisticated. Purchasing less-expensive items that fit in your current budget but don’t give the look of your original taste and vision in can be wasteful in the end.
Consider using these items for your next event: Table linens, china, candlesticks, chandeliers, picture frames, mirrors, cake stands, vases and wall art.
- Invest in those new fabulous home decor items for your party and repurpose them later:
When you plan a special occasion, you want the memories of the event to be lasting. Focus your decor budget on key items you can reuse later. Not only will you be able to showcase your new home decor for all your friends and family to see, but the piece will become a reminder of that special time in your life.
For a “shabby chic” themed baby shower, you can purchase that spectacular vintage-inspired white and crystal chandelier that makes your dessert table go from ordinary to utterly divine knowing it will be a family heirloom when you bring it to the nursery after the event.
Layla Grayce Items I repurposed for the Mermaid Party:
- White Ruffled Shower Curtain: I love the way the tiered ruffles dress up my all white bathroom with some shabby chic style. With ruffles as a central part of the mermaid party design (representing waves and a romantic mermaid gathering), it was fitting to incorporate it as the backdrop for the ocean-inspired dessert table.
- White Ruffle Trimmed Napkins: I wanted each place setting to have something special to mimic a mermaid tail: these fabulous white ruffle-trimmed napkins did exactly that. Having pressed then folded them, tucked under vintage white milkglass ruffled plates and bubbled bowls, each napkin looked like a “mermaid tail” hanging over the edge of the table at each place setting. And these will become a seasonal celebration table linen staple when used for a Christmas celebration, an Easter brunch, a Mother’s Day lunch, etc.
- White Candlesticks: I wanted something beautiful that would grab the eye of a mermaid–something that could have been found on a lavish ship and appeared timeless–these gorgeous candlesticks were exactly what I was looking for. Not only did I use them to add height and whimsy to the dessert table display, but I also used them on the girls’ dining table to create a fine dining experience (as mermaids may do in the deep waters of the ocean!) And outside of the party, they can be topped with an appetizer plate to add height on a buffet or with a candle on the table or mantle.
It’s giveaway time: Kate has generously offered one lucky winner a $500 custom party (must be at least 4 months away)! To enter for a chance to win, leave a comment below or on our Facebook page telling us about an event you’d like Kate to plan. Contest ends Friday, October 1st at 5pm EDT.
Photographs by Open Shade Studios
Event expert Kate Landers Events, LLC will be creating a chic Vintage Silhouette party for Ms. Cristen Schone so….congrats Cristen, we know you’ll love your party! Thanks to everyone who entered – we appreciate each of you tremendously, especially Kate for sharing your party with us!