Clockwise from top: Peacock Feather Digital Print Pillow, Geo Print Green Pillow, Balance Fuchsia Pillows with Orange Embroidery, Grandma’s bracelet, Nikon D80, crayons, Russell + Hazel Gold Leather Stash Sack, Bamboo Wingback Chairs in Crossroads Cyan, Carolyn Quartermaine Revealed
Clockwise from top: Wildflower 40×48, Foral Study 48×60, Fresh Blooms 30×40, Stand Tall Young One, Brunette Flamenco Dancer all by Kristina Bailey
Clockwise from top left: Beautiful Blonde Ballerina, Sweet Brunette Ballerina, designs for invitations created for Picture Perfect, 3D artwork created for Atlanta Elementary School project
Artist Kristina Bass Bailey brings a sweet, feminine and playful sense of whimsy to all her creations, with the ballerina series in particular bringing back fond childhood memories and capturing the imagination of artful little dancers. Oopsy Daisy reproduces the beauty of her loose brushwork and vivid colors on gallery-wrapped stretched canvases in her collection of art for children and the home. Let’s get to know Kristina better as she shares her artful design philosophy and signature style (plus she’s sharing a ballerina too!):
What art hangs in your home and what tips do you have for us to help us incorporate art into our decor?
My theory on design: Hang art, images and objects that bring you joy and a happy home will emerge. The vintage table top gumball machine that I received at the age of 5 lifts my spirits just as much as my cherished Pam Moxley “Deep Breath” photo that hangs in the entryway of our home. On my to-do list right now is framing a vintage pillowcase that my husband used as a child. Saturated with bright color, it holds fond memories for my husband and will add a nice dose of whimsy hung over a twin bed in our child’s bedroom. I am also hoping to stimulate creativity in my little one by hanging images and art with Umbra clips at her eye level down our hallway (an idea I borrowed from my own childhood). Finally, don’t wait until every painting is hung and your house perfectly accessorized before you start enjoying it. My husband and I like to practice hospitality on a regular basis, over the years this has meant hosting a dinner party or two with paintings propped against the wall not hung and a few paint cans stacked in the corner. My home is not perfect, but it is brimming with color and memories!
Give us a peek into your personal style, faves, inspirations and guilty pleasures!
- Signature colors: Green is my go to color (my sofa is mint green, my J.Crew winter coat is Kelly Green, and my Semikolon Clip board for making to do lists is grass green). Terra Cotta and Pale Blue make for great side kicks.
- Work I am most proud of: I am most proud when I push myself to try new things. In 2009, I started painting designs for an invitation company, Picture Perfect, and last year I tackled a project for an Atlanta Elementary school incorporating 3-D elements in my work.
- I am inspired by: At the moment I am totally inspired by and smitten with my little girl. Some days the only artistic tool I use is a crayon but you can do a lot with a crayon I have discovered!
- Favorite Layla Grayce items you’d want in your home: Peacock Feather Digital Print Pillow, Geo Print Green Pillow, Balance Fuchsia Pillows with Orange Embroidery, Bamboo Wingback Chairs in Crossroads Cyan
- Favorite coffee table book: Carolyn Quartermaine Revealed inspired me to pursue fabric design in college.
- Signature fashion item: a bracelet that my grandmother purchased before I was born. It’s gold and chunky and flashy! The cabochons look like clear epoxy over gold glitter…scrumptious!
- I cannot live without: My iMac, my Nikon D80 and my orange Crocs for studio days.
- In my handbag right now: Goody’s Spin Pin (by the end of the day my hair is in a bun), Mini Tape Measure, Black Sharpie Marker, Russell + Hazel Gold Leather Stash Sack in 2 sizes (1 for business receipts and 1 for coupons) and a Blue Zoo Animals Diapees & Wipees Case filled with Seventh Generation Diapers.
- My favorite guilty pleasures: Eating ice cream out of the carton + Getting lost in the blogosphere = Double Trouble!
- You’d be surprised to know: I have a repertoire of comedy sketches that I am perfecting…Marriage has provided me with a great audience!
IT’S GIVEAWAY TIME
Kristina and Oopsy Daisy are graciously offering one lucky winner the Sweet Ballerina canvas wall art. Comment below or on our Facebook page telling us what your favorite childhood activity was, and you are automatically entered to win. Contest ends Wednesday, 4/13/11.