It’s no secret we have a passion for home decorating, and 2011 was a year that we were dazzled by the return of some old favorites plus some fresh new interpretations for the home. Tiffany Harris and Wendy Estes, co-founders of Layla Grayce and Zinc Door, look back over a year full of stylish temptations and came up with their top 5 design trends. Check them out below and vote on which make the top spot in your year end review!
1. A RETURN OF BRASS AND BRONZE: We loved the return of brass and bronze metal accents used in home decor. The warm amber tones look richly elegant in designs ranging from traditional to mid-century modern inspired.
2. RECLAIMED WOOD: Used in furniture, decor and flooring, the utilization of old materials had a historical vintage appeal, playing perfectly into the industrial chic trend paired with iron and steel accents.
3. PLUM PERFECTION: Lilac, plum and purple were colorful additions to the home decor palette this past year in shades ranging from delicate tints to intense darks.
4. WALLPAPER GETS CREATIVE: Used on ceilings, closet doors, cabinets and more, wallpaper patterns bring a touch of the unexpected in designs as diverse as geometric, floral and ikat (another hot trend from 2011!)
5. GATE AND TRELLIS PATTERNS: Like a modernized version of damask, we opened our hearts and homes to gate and trellis motifs. The interlocking repeat of these patterns showed up in everything from rugs and textiles to furniture.