Celebrate With Kate: Horseback Riding Themed Birthday Party
Giddy Up! Kate Landers, here again, thrilled to share with you a darling Horseback Riding Party recently hosted by a dear friend and fellow party stylist, Lilian Oliver of Lily Chic Events in Australia. Take a look at the gorgeous eye candy, and read on for some helpful party planning tips!
1. The Inspiration: Lilian’s daughter, Mikayla, loves horses, and with the recent purchase of their farm, her love has grown even deeper. As soon as Lilian set eyes on Loralee Lewis‘ invitation for a Horse Riding Picnic Party, she instantly knew it was the perfect theme to celebrate Mikayla’s 13th birthday. The paperie also served as inspiration for all the sweets on the dessert table. Tip: Seeking inspiration for your child’s party? Chat with them about their passions and favorite things!
2. A Memorable Party Activity: Lilian booked Mikayla’s party at a reputable horse riding establishment–the birthday girl and all her guests said they had the best day riding through a state forest for two hours. Tip: Thinking of hosting a horse back riding party? Lilian says at the right establishment, children of all ages and experience levels can enjoy it–and it can much more affordable than you think!
3. Creating A Rustic Party Setting: I was thrilled to hear that the girls set up the table themselves and loved it! From laying out the picnic boxes with paper horse ribbons to lining up old fashioned fishing stools, each guest thoroughly enjoyed playing “party stylist”! Tip: Love setting up details for your child’s parties? Include them in the process–they may find it just as enjoyable as you do!
4. A Perfect Picnic Lunch: Lilian made picnic lunches of chicken salad baguettes, apples, potato crisps and bottled water to bring along for the ride. At the end of the ride, guests were greeted with a popcorn and hot chocolate bar–yum! Tip: Looking for a darling way to present a picnic lunch? Dress up some large kraft gable boxes and fill with a sandwich, fruit and snack…one two three go!
5. A Rustic Dessert Table: With the help of family, Lilian was able to hang a vintage sliding door frame as the backdrop for the dessert table set up in their barn. In addition, an old barn door served as the tabletop to display all the gorgeous desserts. I absolutely love the non-traditional (and stunning) “chocolate mud” flavored three-tiered cake. Sweets included many of Mikayla’s favorites like “Apple Crumble” macarons, old fashioned candies, chocolate covered oreos and iced sugar cookies. Tip: Seeking a non-traditional dessert display? Consider re-purposing vintage doors, trunks or crates. Create desserts in flavors the birthday child loves, in your party colors to reinforce the color-scheme and theme.
6. Finding A Balance: Life can be a balancing act. Lilian is a mother to four beautiful daughters, recently purchased and moved to a “farmlet” with her husband in Victoria, which they have been slowly renovating and replanting. Her party styling business and online shop are currently on hold as they get their property in tip-top shape, yet creating her daughters’ parties allows her a creative outlet and precious time spent with her girls. Lilian looks forward to one day returning to her business, but is thoroughly enjoying her life now. Tip: I’ve learned from Lilian that sometimes you simply cannot do it all–at once. She has shown how to balance building a home, raising four girls and keeping her business afloat, keeping her priorities in order.
- Photography: Lee Bird Photography
- Concept & Styling: Lily Chic Events
- Venue: Olivers Alma Cottage
- Stationery: Loralee Lewis
- Cakes & Cupcakes: Kiss My Cakes
- Cookies: Sweet Table
- Paper Rosettes: Dunne With Style
- Macarons: Macarahrah