BedHead pajamas are a personal favorite of many of our Layla Grayce staff, and we can’t wait to get our hands on the new designs for fall. Known for having vibrant prints cut with their signature tailoring and luxurious comfort, this season BedHead branches out to include a flirty and sophisticated ruffled cotton sateen pj that has us all aflutter. Founder and designer Renee Claire offers us a behind-the-scenes peek into how she got started along with a free set of pj’s to one lucky winner.
What was the inspiration for starting Bedhead?
I was going to Europe for what I anticipated to be the last dress collection I would design, and was pondering over what I would do next. While planning for my trip, I searched everywhere for a pair of sophisticated pajamas to take with me and came up empty handed. A light bulb went off ~ I realized there was an obvious gap in the marketplace for a quality made women’s pajama that was somewhere in between slinky/sexy and boxy/unflattering ~ and BedHead was born!
What influences your design and color selection?
Well, I love to travel and often draw inspiration from something I see on my journeys; other times it’s nature. There are really beautiful things all around us if we stop and take the time to notice them. I’m also influenced by art and design concepts, so those come into play in many of the patterns.
What does the future hold for BedHead?
Each season we keep attempting to expand and reinvent our loungewear in some way. This fall we are introducing a tuxedo ruffle pajama that’s getting great feedback! Last season we had phenomenal success with our stretch collection so we plan on adding some solid tanks and printed bed jackets to respond to the demand for more of these “lounging” pieces.
How does BedHead give back to the community?
BedHead has always been a female owned business and we hold women’s issues close to our hearts which is why we support The National Breast Cancer Foundation. And since we are very ingrained in the community of Los Angeles, we also really love supporting local schools and our local charity, Esperanza Community Housing Corporation which strives to provide quality housing and education in the Figueroa Corridor near the garment district in Los Angeles. In addition, all our pajamas are made in downtown Los Angeles, providing much needed jobs to residents in this area.
Let’s get to know Renee a little better with a “quick-fire” round of questions:
- Blogs I check daily: I love Women’s Wear Daily and My Fashion Life; even though we are in the loungewear business, it’s always good to stay on top on what’s trending each season. I love to see what other designers are doing with colors and lines.
- My favorite color is: sky blue
- My first job was: a waitress at a restaurant called Ducks on the Roof
- I cannot live without: my yoga classes
- The best advice I ever received is: It sounds cliché but the best advice I got was to never give up and to just keep persevering despite the odds. We’ve had good times and bad times at BedHead, but I’ve never had the mentality to throw in the towel; you’ve got to just dust yourself off and get back at it and learn from your mistakes!
- My favorite guilty pleasure is: fine wines
- A cause I care deeply about is: Esperanza Community Housing Corporation
It’s giveaway time: One lucky winner will receive a pair of BedHead Ruffled Pajamas in their choice of either Carolina Paisley or Violet Vienna! To enter for a chance to win, leave a comment here or on our Facebook page telling us about your favorite bedtime story or ritual as a child. Contest ends Friday, September 10th at 6pm EDT.
Congrats to Ron Miller, the winner of our Bedhead Pajamas giveaway!