Laura Fenton is a freelance writer and crafter; her work has appeared in Budget Living, Country Living and Good Housekeeping. Laura has lived in New York City for thirteen years, currently in leafy, brownstone Brooklyn where she can be found cooking in her tiny kitchen and dreaming up new D.I.Y. projects, all of which she chronicles on her blog The Little House In The City.
Give us a peek into your personal style, faves and hot trends to watch out for!
- My signature colors: I wouldn’t say that I have a “signature” color, but if you looked around my apartment (or in my closet) you’d find lots of neutrals and shades of blue — and lots and lots of stripes.
- 5 things in my handbag right now: iPhone, my Moleskin notebook, fine-point felt tip pens, Ray-Ban Wayfarer sunglasses and a stainless steel water bottle.
- Trends I have my eye on: I love all the dip-dyed pieces I’ve seen this summer — especially in shades of indigo. I also love seeing lots of block-printed designs that hint at travels to India.
- The superpower I would love to have: To fluently speak and understand all languages.
- I can’t live without: Running. I don’t know how I stayed sane before I took it up.
- My favorite place on Earth is: New York City, of course! Though Montauk is a close second.
- Book or music I am loving right now: Right now I’m reading Anthony Doerr’s Memory Wall (I loved his first two books, The Shell Collector, a short story collection, and About Grace, a novel.) I’m listening to Gillian Welch’s new album The Harrow & The Harvest, which I’ve been waiting eight years for her to release.
- Any big personal or professional plans in the works? Yes! I’m working on the launch of an online newsletter all about the art of entertaining called Toast. We’re slated to launch this fall, and I couldn’t be more excited.
- Layla Grayce items I covet: If money were no object, I’d invest in Matteo bedding. I especially love the Tick pattern. And what can I say? I’m a sucker for stripes. I love this bold DwellStudio Draper Stripe Wool Rug. I’ve been meaning to update our hallway fixture since I moved into my apartment nearly five years ago — this Jamie Young Lafitte Mercury Glass Pendant would be perfect.