1. Itzy Ritzy snack bags 2. Clairebella personalized aluminum water bottles 3. Petunia Pickle Bottom shopper tote bags 4. Layla Grayce upholstered furniture collection
When Kermit the frog said “it’s not easy being green” he wasn’t talking about shopping! Manufacturers are producing eco-friendly products that don’t scrimp on style so you can make peace with both your outer diva and your inner Earth mama. Our top 10 ideas for smart shopping:
- Reduce: Toxins and lead are so last century. Look for items that are PVC-free, utilize low-impact dyes, water-based finishes and organic fabrics.
- Reuse: From grocery bags to snack packs to aluminum water bottles, chic reusable options tame the crinkle of plastic in your life.
- Repurpose: Going beyond grandma’s patchwork quilt, repurposing remnants has become an artform adding eclectic charm to everyday items. Felted wool from yesterday’s sweaters makes its way to children’s apparel and décor. Yarn samples prove an artful touch to blankets and throw pillows. And the list goes on…
- Replant: Watch for vendors who take care in using renewable wood from certifiably sustainable forests and who offer 1 for 1 planting programs.
- Restore: Nostalgic treasures from yesterday are being uncovered and refurbished for the modern home.
- Recycle: Packaging counts too and many vendors are using up to 100% recycled products in packaging or are offering heirloom gift packaging for storing your purchase when not being used.
- Responsible: Social and environmental responsibility go hand in hand in companies that seek to be world-friendly. Look for companies that care by giving back to the communities that make their product.
- Rethink: Nothing fills up landfills faster than items purchased because they were a “great deal.” Buy fewer but better, investing in well-made pieces you love that will stand the test of time.
- Reward: Let your dollar speak by finding environmentally responsible companies who consider the global impact of their business.
We left #10 blank for you. What changes have you made to become more eco-friendly?
Congrats to our winner Jenny D, the winner of the Bella Notte Peony organic cotton/linen duvet.