From patent leather to sparkly bling, there’s something about shiny that makes us swoon, so our infatuation with the new magazine High Gloss makes perfect sense. This glam collaboration of some of the best bloggers in style and design launches today, and we’re pleased to have Paloma Contreras, creator of La Dolce Vita and founder/editor in chief of High Gloss, introduces us to her new magazine and the high style ladies on her team.
Give us a little background on the founders of High Gloss and how you came together to collaborate on a magazine?
Founding High Gloss has been a true labor of love and the result of taking a huge leap of faith and following my dreams while trusting the path that my blog, La Dolce Vita has lead me on. I had been thinking about really focusing my career on writing and had given thought to the idea of starting an online magazine for some time. I made a list of the people I wanted on my team and they all jumped on board! Erin Gates was the first, whose blog Elements of Style has been a personal favorite since before I started blogging. After that, I brought on Shannon Wollack, who I didn’t know quite so well at the time, but we found we had so much in common felt like kismet, so I went for it and was ecstatic when she agreed to join the team. Her partner, Ashley Steen then came on as Art Director. Shannon and Ashley dabble in everything from interior design and fashion styling to event planning and graphic design and they are amazing at all of it. These girls have serious style! Soon after, Kyle Knight and Lauren Rauter joined the team. They each have an incredible eye and are super business savvy and stylish.
What are your goals for High Gloss Magazine?
We aim to continually create fresh, inspiring content. We want to continue to expand our readership and travel as much as possible in order to highlight interiors, style personalities and travel destinations that haven’t already been seen a million times. Our goal on a daily basis is to challenge ourselves to think outside the box in order to create the best possible version of High Gloss.
Will you continue blogging?
Absolutely! Personally, I know that my blog is what lead me on the path to start this magazine. I have been blessed with so many incredible opportunities as a result of blogging for the past three and a half years and I have the most amazing, supportive readers. Blogging is something that gives me so much fulfillment and drives me to constantly seek inspiration – I would be crazy to leave it behind. As High Gloss continues to grow, it may become a little more challenging for me to keep up my blogging pace of two posts per day, but I definitely plan to continue blogging on a regular basis.
Let’s get to know Paloma a little better with a “quick-fire” round of questions:
- Blogs I check daily: Elements of Style, Knight Moves, Rock Paper Scissors, Urban Grace, The Proper Poppy, Sketch 42, Peppermint Bliss, The Lovelist.
- My first job was: Sales Associate at Express as a Junior in High School.
- My favorite color is: This is a tough one. I can never pick just one. I love pink, turquoise and Hermes orange.
- I cannot live without: My husband, Fabian and our dog, Tate…and travel!
- My favorite guilty pleasure is: Reality TV…if it’s on Bravo, you can bet that I’m watching!
- The best advice I ever received is: To take risks! There is a quote from Oprah that really resonates with me: “you get in life what you have the courage to ask for”- so true!
- A cause I care deeply about is: Pencils of Promise (www.PencilsofPromise.org) I was a high school Spanish teacher for five years and still consider myself an educator. I am passionate about empowering children through education. Pencils of Promise is an amazing organization that builds schools in some of the most impoverished and underserved areas of the world, giving children a chance at a brighter future.