Top 5 Gadgets for Summer Dishes
June 10th, 2010
Summer – time to fire up the grill, bake pies, make your own ice cream and invite everyone over to celebrate the 4th of July. Our in-house food expert Wendy shares her top 5 kitchen gadgets that make prepping summer dishes a cinch.
- Pie crust bag – Years ago my mom gave me one of these and it is truly a hero in my kitchen – it has saved me from making a mess, saved me from cracked and torn crust and saved a whole lot of time. Rolling out a perfect circle of pie crust doesn’t get easier than this.
- Whipped Cream Dispenser – Another inventive tool from mom, I use this to top my pies, ice cream and desserts with my own freshly made whipped cream. It travels well to gatherings and whipped cream can be stored up to 2 weeks. Nitrous oxide cartridges provide the power.
- E-Z Roll Garlic Peeler Tube – Peel garlic in seconds and avoid garlic odor on hands – a few quick rolls and cloves pop out skinned, clean and ready to use.
- Silicone Basting Brushes – This one simple tool altered my cooking, paving the way for greater experimenting with marinates and sauces. They are heat resistant (ideal for the grill) and don’t absorb or transfer food flavors. Gone are the days of finding renegade bristles from old basting brushes on my corn on the cob!
- Microplane Rasp Grater – Amazing results for zesting! I use this on limes for barbecue sauces, lemons for lemon curd, fresh ginger for salad dressing and even for grating hard cheese.
Wendy | Permalink |