Get To Know: Paloma Contreras of High Gloss Magazine
Paloma Contreras, is the founder and editor-in-chief of High Gloss Magazine as well as the creator of the style blog, La Dolce Vita, which has garnered attention from loyal readers around the world and has been featured in multiple publications including The Washington Post, Better Homes & Gardens, 002 Houston, and AOL’s ShelterPop. La Dolce Vita was founded in the summer of 2007 as a summer respite from Paloma’s former career as a high school Spanish teacher. Paloma’s passion for the sweet life is reflected in the topics she explores daily from interior design, fashion and intriguing people to fabulous food and travel destinations. An enduring love of magazines, creative writing and the pursuit of a stylish life prompted her to create High Gloss magazine: an online publication with the mission of providing readers with stylish inspiration for every facet of life. High Gloss has been featured on Curbed National, Casa Sugar, AOL’s ShelterPop, and The Wall Street Journal’s WSJ.com. Paloma lives in Houston with her husband Fabian and their adorable dog, Tate.
Give us a peek into your personal style, faves and hot trends to watch out for!
- My signature colors: I wear a lot of black, but I love turquoise, pink and orange.
- 5 things in my handbag right now: A peacock blue business card holder by Abas, black python wallet, iPhone, antibacterial gel, gold Stephanie Johnson make-up bag, a camera.
- Trends I have my eye on: I am currently loving bold looks like color blocking along with oversized clutches.
- The superpower I would love to have: I’d love to have: I am pretty intuitive, but I would love to have the ability to read people’s minds. It would also be cool to be able to travel through time, like Owen Wilson’s character in Midnight in Paris.
- I can’t live without: The internet—as a blogger, I am on the internet all the time and may have a bit of an addiction.
- My favorite place on Earth is: It’s a tie between London and Barcelona. They’re both such amazing cities, but they are vastly different. I guess it would depend on my mood.
- Books and music I am reading/listening to right now: I just finished Shanghai Girls by Lisa See. It is a beautifully written, powerful novel. I really enjoyed it and would highly recommend it. I currently have Florence and the Machine, Maroon 5, and Fleetwood Mac on heavy rotation.
- Layla Grayce items I covet: I love the Regency/Chinoiserie look of this buffet: Serving Buffet in Black. This pillow looks so sumptuous: Bliss Studio Pillow in Monarch Spice. I love Bungalow 5’s chic Jacqui Desk and this absolutely gorgeous, unique mirror: One of a Kind Iron Mirror.